Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Issues, Etc. Canceled

From Pastor Weedon’s Blog comes this sad news:

Today's a black day in the LCMS. Today the Synod ordered the cancellation of the popular radio show Issues, Etc. without stating a reason why, and terminated the employment of Pastor Todd Wilken, the show's host, and Mr. Jeff Schwarz, the show's producer. Folks, I don't know about you, but I do not think we can sit by and let this happen.

There was no finer program on in the radio medium that taught what orthodox Christians believed, taught and confessed, period.

Who wants to bet me that the monies that were used to fund Issues, Etc. will be allocated to print up glossy pocket mission prayer pals and slick brochures. Who wants place a wager that when all is said and done and “explained” it will be said that this was done to bring the good news to that most important demographic that we seemed so infatuated with; the unchurched and people who actually say don’t like church? Ya wanna take me up on that wager? If so, drop me a line, I need the cash.

Update:

The Wittenberg Trail has set up a PayPal account for Todd Wilken and Jeff Schwarz, who are jobless:
A message to all members of The Wittenberg Trail
The Wittenberg Trail is organizing a drive to offer financial support to Pastor Wilken, Jeff Schwarz and their families during this difficult time.
The WT has a secure Pay Pal account set up. Please indicate “Wilken/Schwarz” in the donation comment section.
Please log into the Wittenberg Trail and click on the “Donate” button on the right side of the screen.
Visit The Wittenberg Trail at:
http://wittenbergtrail.ning.com

Update #2

Funds to Support the Wilken and the Schwarz families
Can be sent to St. Paul Lutheran Church, Box 247, Hamel IL 62046. Just mark it Wilken/Schwarz Fund. Folks, they've given us so very, very much. Let's see them through this. (If Paypal is more convenient, you can also donate through that at the Wittenberg Trail). And also let's make sure that President Kieschnick, the Board of Communication Services, and KFUO know that we want to see this show returned to the air.


Update #3

The person who made the decision to cancel Issues, Etc. was Mr. David Strand, Executive Director of the Board for Communication Services. Here is Mr. Strand's contact information: David L. Strand
Executive Director Board for Communication
(314) 996-1200
david.strand@lcms.org
Why not give Mr. Strand a call? I know I will.

6 comments:

Mutti said...

the Issues etc article archives are still up at: http://www.mtio.com/

mutti

Frank Gillespie said...

Mutti, Great to hear from you, where you been? Are you back on the blogosphere?

Thank you so much for the link. I've been so busy since the beginning of the year that I just kept putting off my archiving one more day after one more day.

Who would've thunk it that they would pull the Issues archives down too? I'm still not too sure what to make of this. I know things are look grim but...

Mutti said...

Frank,
well, I've been lurking around a bit. My new situation in life doesn't lend itself to much free time and so I don't blog...and I guess Beckfest has been hijacked. I just got my first ipod and so now I'm frantically downloading issues etc podcasts from itunes. I hope we get to hear from Pr Wilken again, until then I will certainly miss his program. Issues etc was there for me in the dark desert days when the church we were attending wasn't confessional. Now we have a confessional pastor/church body and my radio program is canceled. What's a gal to do?

Frank Gillespie said...

“What’s a girl to do?” Persevere. The wolves have always gathered around the faithful.

How’s that new building of yours working out? Last we chatted you guys were pretty stoked about moving in. I think I remember seeing a post with cake celebrating the joyous event. Mmm, cake…

X said...

www.petitiononline.com/issues

William Peterson said...

When confronted with the abrupt obliteration of the LCMS radio show Issues, Etc. and before impulsively speaking out about it, one must ask “But what do the Scriptures say?“. Searching the Scriptures one finds that there once was a company of men with a Financial Administrator named Judas Iscariot. Now Judas was suddenly presented with an opportunity to obtain a pure profit cash influx into the companies treasury of 30 pieces of silver all for merely selling out the company founder (who was prone to extravagant company banquets with bread and wine on religious holidays). All this during a company financial downturn since the Jesus show was not only currently receiving simply terrible reviews from the important critics, but also whose public following had hit bottom causing serious economic drain on the companies treasury. Based upon sound accounting principles Judas accepted the cash influx and could demonstrate a clear bottom line solidly in the black that season to any skeptic whatsoever. Reference the Book of Mark (look in the New Testament for it).