Monday, August 20, 2007

Anger And Forgiveness

I had a bad weekend where I for the most part ended up very, very angry. My words and my thoughts both were sinful. My deeds always fall short of God’s perfect law and are always sinful as well. This weekend my anger was sinful and it consumed me.

St. John writes in 1 John 1:8-9;

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Yesterday in the Divine Service I confessed my sin and my pastor in the stead and by the command of Christ himself announced the forgiveness of all my sins. Where in Scripture does it say that pastors have this authority? Again we look to St. John writing in John 20:21-23

So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”



Thanks be to God.

No comments: