Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Professor Kurt Marquart Called Home

Here is the message that President Dean Wenthe sent to the seminary community.

Dear Members of the Seminary Family:
I wish to inform the seminary family that on the morning of September 19 our distinguished colleague, beloved professor, and brother in Christ, Dr. Kurt Marquart, died. After suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease, he died peacefully at home. Earlier in the evening he had baptized his new great-grandson, Evan.
As baptism joined Dr. Marquart and Evan to Christ's death and resurrection, we confess that he now enjoys that full life that Christ gives to those who are joined to Him (John 10:10).
President Wenthe


I had the opportunity on numerous occasions to sit in on Professor Marquart's classes during my visits to Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I always thought that if I could retain just a gram of what he was teaching, my knowledge of what it meant to be confessional would be light years ahead of where I'm at, even today.

His book Anatomy of an Explosion: A Theological Analysis of the Missouri Synod Conflict detailed what led up to and the effects of higher and textual criticism within the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. I have two copies of this book in my library. One copy never leaves my house. The second copy is always available to those who just tout ecumenicalism and theological goofiness over the confessions and Scripture.

The Church catholic has lost a great voice on this side of eternity.

No comments: