Monday, May 01, 2006

My Second Ditty

I have a nasty habit of gettting a tune stuck in my head and just not letting go of it until everyone around me is as sick of it as I am. I've went so far as to record a single song onto a cd and play that song until folks would rather get out of my car and walk rather than hear "that song" one more time.

After last week's discussions with Calvinist family members I took it one step further. I had a song in my head that I knew could be butchered to make the point that all we do in church is not adiaphora . This is my second ditty, see this post for my first attempt at poking fun at those who just want their best life now.

This ditty should be sung to the tune for the song You Lost That Loving Feeling by The Righteous Brothers. Enjoy!

You've Lost That Holy Feeling by Frank Gillespie

You never close your eyes when you pray, no more
You seem distracted by, reading hymns off a screen on the wall
But you got to feel the love in your heart and show it
And brother, brother you know it

You lost that holy feeling
Whoa, that sanctified feeling
You’ve lost that holy feeling,
Now it’s gone, gone, gone… woooooah

There’re no confessions getting in the way, of what God means to you
And the sacraments, are just a little something you do
It just makes me feel like crying (brother)
Without the marks of the Church, you’re faith is just dieing

You lost that holy feeling
Whoa, that sanctified feeling
You’ve lost that holy feeling,
Now it’s gone, gone, gone… woooooah

Brother, brother, I get down on my knees and pray for you
If only you’d worship, like the ancient Church used to do
There are Church doctrines, liturgy, confessions that you can’t just wish away
So don’t, don’t, don’t, push the Church catholic away

Brother (brother), brother (brother)
I beg of you please, please
Just reject those alter calls (alter calls) and that decision theology (decision theology)
Just bring it on back (Word and Sacraments) O bring it on back (Word and Sacraments)

Bring back that holy feeling
Whoa, that sanctified feeling
Bring back that holy feeling
Because it’s gone, gone, gone

Bring back that holy feeling
Whoa, that holy feeling
Bring back that holy feeling
Because it’s gone, gone, gone
Noooo…….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and hour of "I walk the line" can make anyone insane.

j/k

Frank Gillespie said...

All,
Jason is someone that can verify the fact that I will put 12 different versions of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire on a CD and actually listen to the whole thing! Ain't that right Jason? My favorite non Cash version was by Wall of Voodoo.