Monday, February 19, 2007

What Church Is Not, Part 2

Over the weekend I received a screen shot of Epic Wired Church's sermon series from last fall. Epic, according to my last post, is what church is not! I became aware of Epic sometime in October, when they were having their “how to score” series. I didn’t bother bringing that up in the previous post because I thought that most folks would think I was joking around again. So, thanks to Scott for sending me the screen shot complete with “Scoring with Your Wife, the PG-13 version” So when Jesus said “ “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.” I’m pretty sure He didn’t mean unless your church preaches something that is inappropriate to the little ragamuffins.

RandomDan busted my chops in the previous post for not knowing about these guys two years ago. He was kind enough to send me a link from a Bunny Diehl discussion of the "star wars" sermon series. Apparently the "pastor" rented a Wookie suit to make the church all the more better. (yes I wrote it that way on purpose) Here's a quote from a member of Epic:

"Sometimes, you've got to be a bit of a nut to get people's attention," said Kazmierczak, as he walked in the Chewbacca suit from his office at Blackhawk Systems to morning rush hour traffic on Mound Round.
If the suit and sign get a few people to think about religion, the effort paid off, he says.
"What says 'I want to win your heart to Jesus' better than a Wookie?" Kazmierczak jokingly asked.
The Chewbacca suit is expected to continue to pop up at various spots in metro Detroit through Sunday. The church rented the suit for a week.
It also plans to have Chewie on hand at the first service of the "Star Wars" sermons this Sunday.
Chewbacca will fit right in at Epic, Kade says. "We kind of have a casual dress code."


But I told Dan that “There are things we just don’t seek out. You can’t just go out and look for… evil.“ That’s right; I didn’t go out and try to find evil, it, as it usually does, found me. I’d like to add a quote from that big blue bug of justice: the Tick, which just seems appropriate:

"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding! Evil is just plain bad! You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it in the nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness! Bad dog! Bad dog!"

No comments: