Tuesday, August 15, 2006

New Nursery Program?

Lark News is reporting that some churches are trying out a two tiered nursery system. For a small fee, parents who have the means can upgrade, for a measly $15, to a first class nursery program. A pastor who is obviously a very good business leader is quoted as saying "If we can offer 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. worship times, why not first class and economy class Sunday school?"

Why am I bringing this up? Well, tonight I will chair the monthly board of education meeting. Yep, the nursery falls under my dominion. It is course, my preference to have the little ragamuffins in the sanctuary during the Divine Service. But, if the parents think that they are just too young to "get it" or the children are just too unruly, well, why not help out?

I'm also thinking we could use this program to purchase that new icon for the nursery. Right now the religious art in the nursery is pitiful with pathetic cardboard cutouts of this and that. With more iconography the little crumb crunchers might understand tsinfulnnful state and actually want to attend the Divine Service!

3 comments:

Fearsome Pirate said...

I have to admit, I do not understand the LCMS fascination with having screaming infants in the sanctuary. I suppose it's some sort of test of orthodoxy, but I don't really see the point of the presence of a wailing 6-month-old who can't speak yet.

Frank Gillespie said...

Josh,
In my congregation, the nursery is provided for those screaming children who wailing disrupts the Divine Service. In all seriousness, what I don’t like are the parents who place their children in a nursery because they think their little crumb crunchers are too young to “really” understand God’s Word. These are reformed decision theology ideas that I wish would go away. How the Word of God works is a mystery, but it does work! If John the Baptist can leap in his mothers womb upon hearing the announcement of the soon to be born Christ, who can argue that a child’s faith is not fed even though he or she can not express that faith? Not me!

Anonymous said...

Josh S. Said :

I do not understand the LCMS fascination with having screaming infants in the sanctuary.

***
I've always been of the opinion that we should allow the little children to come to Jesus, and not forbid them. I think that maybe the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as those.

But then, I'm just one of those LCMS pastors who is fascinated by screaming infants in the Sanctuary.

+INJ+
Lincoln
BoW